WHAT WE DO
Growth is hard. Over the past decade, companies worldwide failed to achieve sustained, profitable growth. We help companies seeking to join the elite group of sustained value creators by turning three common pitfalls into opportunities:
- Too many companies leave money on the table in their core businesses. Our strategy consultants help companies find the untapped growth potential and unrealized cost savings in their core businesses.
- While companies in mature markets need to expand their horizons, too often they diversify too far in pursuit of fast growth. We help our clients expand from a strong core into adjacencies by applying a repeatable formula.
- Some companies hit a wall in their current business and fail to successfully redefine their core. We help firms find successful platforms, often within their own businesses, along with new customer insights and capabilities, to renew their business model.
- More strategic errors come from inadequate self-awareness than any other cause. Many management teams do not agree on the core and some have never even talked about it. In the focus phase, companies concentrate on building their core business to reach their full potential. They grow revenue, cut costs, improve operations, leverage differentiated capabilities and assets to build competitive advantage and develop innovations in their core products.
- In the expand phase, companies take advantage of these capabilities and market positions to move into adjacent markets. They seek out new customer segments, new geographies, new distribution channels and new-but-related product lines. Adjacency moves offer one of the most effective ways for companies to achieve repeated bursts of new growth.
- At some point, many companies find their growth and profitability tapering off or even declining. Whether due to market saturation, shifting profit pools or a change in the competitive or technological landscape, this is when a company moves into phase three and must redefine its core. During the redefinition phase, we help executives renew company strategy and capabilities. This work entails looking deep within their organizations to find undervalued, unrecognized or underutilized assets that can serve as new platforms for sustainable growth.
We share our clients' ambitions. We work to understand their reality and deliver true results. And we align our incentives with our clients' objectives, so they know we're in it together.
- New products propel profitability for metals manufacturer - Following the purchase of a finishing plant, our industrial goods client experienced a steep decline in sales. After adopting our recommendation to focus on new products and cut losses in a losing product line, our client's profits quadrupled.
- Market rewards media company's long-term planning - To respond to changes in the market, our media client adapted new short and long-term strategies. As a result, the company's stock price rose more than twice the market index.
- A financial services leader gains market confidence - A financial services client saw its share price soar after the company implemented corporate strategy initiatives based on the its future profit potential.
- Global expansion boosts supermarket earnings - The international expansion plan we implemented with our supermarket chain client resulted in increased local market share.
- Hospital turnaround stems doctor defections - Our hospital client stemmed the tide of physician defections and turned around financial results by devising a new strategy that focused on strategic market segments.